조문영씨 ‘보이스오브뉴욕’ 기고

뉴욕=노창현기자 newsroh@gmail.com

뉴욕의 한인 인턴기자가 미국 매체에 제19대 대선 재외투표 체험기(体験記)를 실어 눈길을 끌고 있다.

소수계미디어 소식을 전하는 ‘보이스오브뉴욕(Voices of New York)’이 2일 한국인 인턴기자의 대선투표 체험기 ‘뉴욕에서 한 첫 대선투표(My First Vote in a Korean Presidential Election – in New York)’를 소개했다.

이 기고문은 보이스오브뉴욕에서 인턴기자로 일하는 조문영씨가 지난 30일 마감된 뉴욕재외투표에 참여한 소회와 대선재외선거에 관한 흥미로운 이야기들을 다룬 것이다. 조문영기자는 기표도장을 손등에 찍고 투표소앞에서 촬영한 인증샷도 공개했다,

munyoung_stamp_-670x447.jpg

<이하 사진 조문영씨 제공>

보이스오브뉴욕은 뉴욕시립대(CUNY) 저널리즘 스쿨에서 운영하는 온라인 미디어로 뉴욕 일원의 수백개 소수 미디어의 주요 기사들을 매일 영어로 번역 소개하고, 자체 취재 기사도 함께 올리고 있다.

조문영씨의 재외투표 체험기를 번역(飜譯) 소개한다.

난 1993년 12월 31일 생이다. 한국에선 만 19세가 되야 투표권이 주어지기 때문에 2012년 12월 19일 열린 제18대 대선엔 불과 2주차로 참여할 수 없었다. 동갑내기 친구들은 대부분 투표할 수 있었다.

제 19대 대선은 박근혜 대통령 탄핵으로 5월 9일 열리게 되었는데 재외국민들은 이보다 빨리 투표를 하기 때문에 난 4월 28일 투표에 참여했다. 기쁜 마음으로 투표하고서 한국에 계신 부모님께 문자메시지를 보냈지만 15명의 후보자중 누구에게 투표했는지는 말 할 수 없었다.

뉴욕지역에서 재외투표자수는 9,690명이고 전체 13개 도시를 합산하면 4만8,487명이다. 한국총영사관은 맨해튼에 있지만 투표소는 한국인들이 많이 사는 플러싱에 만들어졌다. 맨해튼에서 플러싱까지 총영사관에서 운영하는 셔틀버스가 있었지만 접근성(接近性)이 좋지 않은 나같은 사라들은 택시를 타고 투표소에 갔다.

munyoung2-670x447.jpg

투표소인 노던블러바드의 리셉션하우스까지 이동하는데는 한시간 가량 소요됐다. 안내요원들의 도움을 받아 미리 등록한 신분 정보를 확인하는데 난 한국운전면허증을 제시했다. 그럼 투표지와 회송용 봉투를 주고 기표소로 가면 된다. 투표를 하고 나는 기표도장을 손등에 찍었다. 많은 한국인들은 이렇게 인증샷이란걸 하기때문에 나도 기념으로 인증샷을 인스타그램에 올렸다.

이번 대선은 역대 가장 많은 후보자들이 나왔지만 사실상 두명 주자의 경쟁이 되고 있다. 현재 약 40%의 가장 많은 지지를 받고 있는 더불어민주당 문재인 후보는 2012년 대선에서 박근혜 후보와 대결을 한 바 있다.

2위 후보는 국민의당 안철수 후보로 한때 문재인 후보와 같은 민주당이었지만 새로운 당을 만들어 나왔다. 그의 경력은 조금 독특하다. 처음엔 의사였고 그후 보안소프트웨어 연구소 대표로 있다가 KAIST 교수를 했고 이제 대통령이 되기를 원한다. 그의 지지율은 20%대로 TV 토론에서 약한 모습을 보여 지지율이 줄고 있다.

경제문제와 미중관계, 남북관계, 싸드문제 등이 토론의 주요 이슈로 난 투표를 하기전에 5번의 토론회를 주의깊게 지켜보았다. 누구를 찍었는지는 비밀이지만 박근혜 대통령에게 너무 실망을 했기 때문에 더 나은 대한민국을 위해 일 할 수 있는 최선의 후보를 선택했다는 것만큼은 자신있게 말 할 수 있다.

다른 유권자들도 나처럼 선거에 관심이 많았다. 뉴욕에서는 역대 최고인 등록유권자의 70%가 투표를 했다. 투표소에서 버스를 대절해서 온 코넬대 한인유학생들을 만났는데 우리들은 박근혜처럼 부패한 사람이 아니라 진정 시민들을 위한 대통령을 선택해야 한다는 강한 신념과 열정을 짜릿한 흥분감과 함께 나눌 수 있었다.

* 글로벌웹진 뉴스로 www.newsroh.com

munyoung3-670x447.jpg

<꼬리뉴스>

My First Vote in a Korean Presidential Election – in New York

By Munyoung Cho

I was born on Dec. 31, 1993 in South Korea. Because the voting age in Korea is 19 and the last presidential election was held on Dec. 19, 2012, I just missed the opportunity to vote – unlike most of my friends. So the current presidential election, being held now because of President Park Geun-Hye’s impeachment on corruption charges, offered me my first chance at voting for my country’s president.

In Korea, the vote will be on May 9. But overseas, voting just ended. And because I’ve spent the past few months in New York, interning and improving my English, I cast my vote on April 28. I was so happy and proud when I was done that I texted my parents back home, eager to report the deed – but I wouldn’t tell them who I voted for among the field of 15 candidates.

In the New York area, the Korean Consulate General reported a tally of 9,690 votes, while across the U.S. in 13 cities, 48,487 Korean citizens voted. Like me, many of them went to special polling places that had been set up for the week of overseas voting.

On April 28, although the weather was really hot, a lot of Koreans who live near New York gathered in front of the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Manhattan to go to the polling station in Flushing, Queens, selected as a polling place because of its relatively easy access for most Koreans.

The consulate wasn’t able to accommodate all the Koreans who wanted to vote on April 28 on the big shuttle bus, so they called a taxi for some of us, including me. I knew that there were a lot of Koreans in New York, but it had been a while since I’d seen so many Koreans all together.

The polling station was pretty far from the Korean Consulate General. It took about an hour to get to Reception House, the location on Northern Boulevard where the voting booths had been set up. As people arrived, staffers guided the way to the polling station. We’d all already been required to register online, which I’d done only a couple of weeks earlier in April.

When I arrived, I showed them my Korean ID (driver’s license), and they gave me the ballot with my Korean address marked on it. Then, I went to one of the booths and voted, after which my hand was stamped. A funny thing is that many Koreans took a photo with the stamp on their hand to prove that they voted. I took a photo too, and uploaded it to my Instagram account.

보이스오브뉴욕.jpg

One noteworthy feature of this election is that 15 people announced their candidacy for president, the greatest number in the history of democratic Korea. However, in recent weeks the race has become one between the two frontrunners.

The candidate with the highest approval rating is Moon Jae-in. He is currently the Minjoo Party [Democratic Party in Korea] of Korea’s nominee. Previously, he was the Democratic United Party’s candidate for the 2012 presidential election, and competed with Park Geun-hye. Because of Park’s impeachment, many Koreans support him. His approval rating is now around 40 percent.

munyoung4-670x447.jpg

(Photo by Munyoung Cho for Voices of NY)

The candidate with the second highest approval rating is Ahn Cheol-soo, the People’s Party nominee for the presidential election. Ahn once was in the same party with Moon, but he came out and started a new party. His history is a little unusual. He has changed jobs frequently. He was a doctor, CEO of AhnLab [which sells antivirus and online security software], a professor at KAIST [Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology] and now he wants to be president. His approval rating is about 20 percent, but it’s fallen since his relatively poor performance in televised debates.

The economy, relations with the U.S. and China while tensions escalate with North Korea, and discussions of THAAD [Terminal High Altitude Area Defense] have all dominated the debates. I watched five rounds of debates and reviewed the presidential election pledges before deciding who to vote for. My vote was a secret ballot – but I will say that I did my best to select a candidate who could make for a better Korea, because it was the first presidential election in my life and I was so disappointed with Ms. Park.

For me and, it seems, for those who were casting their votes at the same time as me, interest in the election was strong. The NY turnout was about 70 percent of eligible voters, the highest in history. When I went to the polling station, there were Korean students from Cornell University who had rented a bus and come together to the polling station. It was thrilling to feel our passion, and our conviction that the 19th president of the Republic of Korea should work for its citizens, rather than being a corrupt person like Ms. Park.

Munyoung Cho is an intern with Voices of NY and the Center for Community and Ethnic Media at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism in NY.

• |
  1. munyoung_stamp_-670x447.jpg (File Size:69.7KB/Download:24)
  2. munyoung2-670x447.jpg (File Size:95.5KB/Download:20)
  3. munyoung3-670x447.jpg (File Size:84.9KB/Download:24)
  4. munyoung4-670x447.jpg (File Size:98.1KB/Download:21)
  5. 보이스오브뉴욕.jpg (File Size:112.6KB/Download:25)
facebook twitter google plus pinterest kakao story band

번호 분류 제목 글쓴이 날짜
3717 캐나다 리치몬드 화재로 한인 가정 큰 피해 file 밴쿠버중앙일.. 18.12.07.
3716 캐나다 납치⋅감금⋅고문⋅살인...살벌한 밴쿠버 조폭 밴쿠버중앙일.. 18.12.07.
3715 캐나다 수술 대기시간 작년보다 단축된 19.8주 file 밴쿠버중앙일.. 18.12.07.
3714 미국 "미국은 종전선언 채택하고 평화협정 체결하라" file 코리아위클리.. 18.12.06.
3713 미국 적조현상 불구, 플로리다 방문자 9월까지 1억여 명 코리아위클리.. 18.12.06.
3712 미국 올랜도-탬파 88마일 고속철 현실화… 공사기간 3년 코리아위클리.. 18.12.06.
3711 미국 플로리다, 내년에 ‘핸즈프리 법’ 나올까 코리아위클리.. 18.12.06.
3710 미국 올해 허리케인 시즌 공식 종료... 평년 수준 넘어 코리아위클리.. 18.12.06.
3709 미국 공화당, 조지아주 결선투표서 승리 ‘굳히기’ file 뉴스앤포스트 18.12.06.
3708 캐나다 캘거리 스탬피더스, 그레이 컵 들어 올려 CN드림 18.12.04.
3707 캐나다 바디 월드 전시회, 에드먼튼 텔러스 센터서 열려 CN드림 18.12.04.
3706 캐나다 캘거리 최초 인터렉티브 벽화 생겨 CN드림 18.12.04.
3705 미국 CNA 방송, “김정은 상황 판단 빠르고 똑똑하다” file 코리아위클리.. 18.12.03.
3704 캐나다 써리 올해 14번째 살인사건 발생 [1] 밴쿠버중앙일.. 18.11.29.
3703 캐나다 전체 이민자 14명 중 1명 농업 종사 file 밴쿠버중앙일.. 18.11.29.
3702 캐나다 산타와 함께 떠나는 웨스트코스트익스프레스 file 밴쿠버중앙일.. 18.11.29.
3701 미국 흑인 학살 ‘오명’ 공식 인정한 올랜도 지역 시의회 코리아위클리.. 18.11.29.
3700 미국 플로리다 도시, 전세계 성소수자들 연말 여행지로 인기 코리아위클리.. 18.11.29.
3699 미국 <뉴욕타임스>, "화해•치유 재단 해체로 위안부 협약 사실상 폐기"; file 코리아위클리.. 18.11.27.
3698 캐나다 연말시즌 분위기를 살린 루돌프 버스를 보면 사진 찰칵 file 밴쿠버중앙일.. 18.11.27.